Sports Shorts

GVSU Offensive Coordinator suspended

Newly-hired GVSU offensive coordinator Morris Berger has been suspended after praising Hitler’s leadership style in the school’s newspaper.

In an article published to the Grand Valley Lanthorn on Thursday, Jan. 23, Berger was asked to name three historical figures he’d like to have dinner with. His response came with some backlash.

“This is probably not going to get a good review, but I’m going to say Adolf Hitler,” Berger said. “It was obviously very sad and he had bad motives, but the way he was able to lead was second-to-none. How he rallied a group and a following, I want to know how he did that. Bad intentions of course, but you can’t deny he wasn’t a great leader.”

Berger went on to name John F. Kennedy and Christopher Columbus as well.

The university has since responded, issuing the following statement:

“The comments made by Offensive Coordinator Morris Berger, as reported in The Lanthorn student newspaper, do not reflect the values of Grand Valley State University,” the statement read. “Berger has been suspended and the university is conducting a thorough investigation.”

Berger was named GVSU football’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Monday, Jan. 20. Berger previously served on the offensive staff at Oklahoma State University in 2017 and as the tight ends coach at Texas State Universoty in 2019. Berger was fired from that position before landing with the Lakers.

Five Ferris football players earn DII All-America Honors

Five members of the 2019 Ferris football team were awarded Don Hansen DII All-America Honors. First-Team recipients include senior defensive end Austin Edwards, senior offensive guard Tyler Allison, senior defensive back James Ceasar and senior linebacker Avonte Bell. Junior offensive tackle Dylan Pasquali earned Third-Team recipients.

Edwards continued to fill his trophy case as he was also named the 2019 Don Hansen’s Division II Football National Defensive Player of the Year.

The four First-Team members is the most for one school in the country.