One of the most celebrated items in life is food, especially when it comes to a good party.
What should be brought to make the best tailgate feast? Below are three quick and easy recipes for some tasty food to enjoy while tailgating.
The Classic Hamburger
No one can do anything wrong with a hamburger. Just make sure it’s cooked thoroughly and have a lot of condiments.
What you need:
1 pound ground lean beef
1 large egg
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 or 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 hamburger buns
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
4 lettuce leaves
- Mix ground beef, eggs, onion, bread crumbs, Worcestershire, garlic, salt and pepper until well blended in bowl. Divide mixture into four equal portions and shape into patties.
- Lay burgers on grill and cook until fully grilled (cut inside one patty to check if there’s any pink spots if you’re feeling unsure). It should be around 7 to 8 minutes. Then, remove from grill.
- Toast buns on grill until lightly browned (optional).
- Add condiments.
Homemade Chex Mix
This snack is a big people pleaser and is a recipe that can be easily changed. It’s really easy and does not require any baking; all you need is a microwave.
What you need:
3 cups of corn Chex Cereal
3 cups of rice Chex Cereal
1 1⁄2 cups of wheat Chex Cereal
1 1⁄2 cups of oyster crackers
1 cup of cheese crackers
1 cup of mixed nuts
6 tablespoons of melted butter
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 1⁄2 cups of seasoned salt
3⁄4 teaspoon of onion powder
- Place pretzels, cereals, crackers and nuts into a large microwave safe bowl.
- In another bowl mix melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and onion powder.
- Pour the butter mixture over the cereal mix and coat evenly.
- Microwave for five to six minutes, stirring every two minutes.
- Spread onto clean, safe surface to cool (such as a cookie sheet, cellophane or aluminum foil).
- Serve immediately or put in a container for later.
While not everybody’s favorite, macaroni salad can be a good choice to have a healthier option while still being tasty.
What you will need:
1 pound pasta (macaroni)
3 hard boiled eggs, diced
2 celery ribs, minced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 red onion, minced
1/4 cup sweet pickles, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon pickle juice
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
Chopped parsley (optional)
- Cook pasta by following box’s instructions. Drain water, rinse with cool water and drain again.
- Transfer drained pasta into a large bowl. Add eggs, celery, red bell pepper, red onions and sweet pickles.
- Mix mayonnaise, pickle juice, sugar and Dijon mustard into small bowl. Season with Kosher salt and black pepper.
- Mix the small bowl’s contents with the pasta mixture.
- Season with more salt and pepper for taste.
- Freeze for one hour.
- Add parsley if desired.
Recipes from dineratthezoo.com, myrecipes.com and foodiecrush.com
Click here to learn more about tailgating at Ferris.